- Fall 2014
- About SM AYSO
- About Our Soccer Programs
- Board & Staff Contacts
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- Fields & Safety
- Information for Players
- Kids Zone
- Lost & Found
- Rules & Guidelines
- Administrative Access
Information for Players
Hi, and welcome to the Santa Monica AYSO Region 20 web site.
Here we'll tell you a few things that you might want to know about playing soccer in our region.
How Old do I Have to be to Play?
If you can read this and you're not 19 or older as of July 31st of this year or a four year old reading prodigy, then you can play.
Will I Have Fun?
AYSO is all about the fun of learning and playing soccer. It is not just about winning. If you show up to practices and get to the games on time in your uniform, then you are guaranteed to play at least half of every game. In reality, almost everyone gets to play 3/4 of each game and many kids get to play the whole game. Sometimes if it's hot and you get tired that can even be too much!
Will I get to Play with my Friends?
Yes. Your team will probably have some of your schoolmates or other kids you know on it. Even if you don't know anyone on your team, you will quickly get to know a whole bunch of new friends!
How Much Time does AYSO Take?
Playing AYSO fall season soccer means that you'll usually have to come to practice once a week and play one game on Saturday. Every week. (High school kids may have 2 practices & 2 games each week.) From late August to December. Can you do that? Or are you also playing volleyball; going away for a couple of weeks; or are going to be very busy with school? Do you really want to play or are your parents pushing you? Make sure that you set time aside to go to all the practices and the games. You don't want to let your friends down by not showing up! And besides, soccer should be fun, not something that stresses you out because you don't have enough time.
Can I Play AYSO and Still Play on my High School Team?
Yes. The AYSO season is carefully designed so that the upper divisions are finished before the winter high school soccer season starts. Due to CIF high school rules, you cannot play for AYSO (or a club team) at the same time that you are playing for a high school team. If you are a young freshman who would normally be placed in U14 and you definitely want to try out for your High School JV or Varsity team, you will need to play up in U16 instead. Please contact our registrar if this is your situation.
How do I Sign Up?
You'll have to get your parents to register you. If they want to know how, take them to the registration page. (ADD LINK HERE)
What Equipment will I need?
We will give you your game uniform consisting of shorts, jersey, and socks. You'll need to wear this to every game. You'll need to provide the rest of your equipment including shoes, shin guards, and a ball. Your shoes should be soccer cleats or turf shoes (not baseball cleats!). You need to bring your shoes, shin guards, your ball, and water to every practice! Don't wear your uniform to practice, it's for games only. You can wear last year's uniform to practice if you want though.
Will I get a Medal?
Yes! Everyone who participates during the whole season will get a medal. You may get more medals, trophies, or pins if you also play in tournaments.
- Play for the fun of it, not just to please your parents or coaches.
- Play by the Rules.
- Never argue with or complain about the referee calls or decisions.
- Control your temper and most of all, resist the temptation to retaliate when you feel you have been wronged.
- Concentrate on playing soccer and on affecting the outcome of the game with your best effort. Work equally hard for your team as for yourself.
- Be a good sport by cheering all the good plays, whether it is your team’s or your opponent’s.
- Treat all players as you would like to be treated.
- Remember that the goals of the game are to have fun, improve skills and feel good. Don’t be a showoff or a ball hog.
- Cooperate with your coaches, teammates, opponents and the referees.
Online Soccer Games (OMIT THIS?)
Here's some online soccer games, courtesy of SaySoccer.com (but we'd rather you go outside & play REAL soccer!)
- SAY Soccer's Crazy Kick Online Game - You're the goalie kicking the ball into play... help your team score a point before the clock runs out!
- Soccer SMASH -This online game is great fun! You'll spend hours trying to get your personal best score. ENJOY!
Major League Soccer Activity Book
Check out this great activity book for kids, brought to you by Major League Soccer! MLS Activity Book
I have more Questions!
We're sure you do! Your coach will try to answer these for you during the season. If you think there should be more answers on this page, please tell the webmaster (email@example.com) so we can do a better job of explaining things.
Waiting on Content....
- Lacing your soccer shoes